They say a leopard can't change its spots, but there is one comedienne doing the equivalent on the stage today. According to some, people aren't looking for your everyday one-liner All-American comedian. People are eager to hear the brash and the truth, which constitutes comedy. Honesty makes for the best laughter and policy. You'll definitely get this from another one of St. Louis' hottest, dazzling comedienne, B - Phlat.
Here's Beverly Nelson. Smart, attractive, musically talented, motivated and funny. After graduating with a degree in fine arts from Fontbonne College in St. Louis, she traveled to Philadelphia to pursue a Master's degree in Business and Arts Administration. She worked as a Marketing Director for one of Philadelphia's largest law firms, so why is she standing on stage doing comedy???
This talented woman prefers to hone her comedy skills in her new home of Philadelphia. Her comedy is different and unlike many female comics, she does not depend on manbashing, using profanity, or being overly sexually graphic and explicit. She urges women to take a closer look at themselves and improve and empower yourself and everything else will fall into place. "Quit trying to maintain a man" Nelson often chides in closing her set, "Maintain yourself and the man will have to follow…".
One of the best fines in the industry, her seductive, deep rich voice, which carries the twang of the Midwest accent, will captivate you as she draws you into her funny tales of life, love, and happiness.
This bad girl, currently putting it down in Philadelphia, started her career Six (6) years ago and has accomplished many impressive credits. B Phlat has been a Host and Headliner for the last Two (2) years on the RJE Urban Comedy Cabaret Tour, which is the largest, highest grossing, and longest running comedy tour catering to colleges/ universities in the nation. She has also been featured on numerous television shows such as "SHOWTIME AT THE APOLLO", Four (4) seasons of BET "COMIC VIEW", a writer for ESPN THE MAGAZINE, hosting several celebrity events such as the Russell Simmon's Phat Farm Fashion Show & Def Comedy Jam in Negril, Jamaica, FUBU International Okwaku Festival in Amsterdam and most recently corporate sponsorship by Donyell Marshall's Triple D Productions.
AppearancesTelevision, Newspaper and Magazine:
• "SHOWTIME at the APOLLO" March 2001
• BET's "COMIC VIEW" 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998
• ESPN Magazine – Guest Writer "Dressed Down" October, 2001
• Comedy After Midnight – ABC Channel 6 1999
• Philly After Midnight (TALK SHOW) – ABC Channel 6 1999
• Philadelphia Daily News – feature "A Very Tacky Christmas December, 2000
• ESPN Magazine – "Hangtime" October, 2000
• ESPN Magazine – "Art Life" May, 2000
• Source Magazine – "Off the Head" June, 2000
• Source Magazine – "Joker's Wild" August, 1999
Comedy Clubs / Venues:
• Carolines on Broadway, NYC The Improv, Miami The Improve, Los Angeles
• The Laff House, Philadelphia The Comedy Zone, Charlotte Uptown Comedy Corner, ATL
• The Comedy Store, Los Angeles 4th & B Concerts, San Diego Boston Comedy Club,
• NYC Coco's House of Comedy, Detroit Blue Funk, Philadelphia Uptown Comedy Club,
• NYC Yuk Yuk's Comedy Club, Toronto The Spotlight, St. Louis Whiting Hall, Flint, MI
• The Comedy Corner, West Palm Beach Club Amnesia, Freeport, Bahamas Jimmy's Uptown, NYC
Special Events / Competitions:
• ACUI College Showcase @ Long Island University 2001 Long Island, NY
• Adolph Shiver's 2001 New Year's Eve Celebrations 2002 Durham, NC
• Laffapalooza Comedy Festival "New Faces Showcase" 2001 Atlanta, GA
• RJE Urban Comedy Cabaret Tour – HEADLINER & HOST - 2000
• Women of Color Technology Awards Conference 2001 Atlanta, GA
• Donyell Marshall Celebrity Golf Tournament 2001 & 2000 Reading, PA
• Bay Area Black Comedy Completion & Festival 2001 Oakland, CA
• Bryon Russell Celebrity New Year's Eve & Birthday Bash 2001 Salt Lake City, UT
• Def Poetry Jam Showcase 2001 Philadelphia, PA
• FUBU Okwaku Festival & Comedy Showcase 2000 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
• Russell Simmons Phat Farm Fashion Show 2000 Negril, Jamaica
• Newport Jazz Festival 1999 Newport, Rhode Island
• Urban Comedy Festival & Competition 1998 New York, NY
Personal Profile - B PhlatMUSIC: Wild 2000 Gospel CD, C-Murder, Mystical, Time Life Singers & Songwriters Collection, Chicago, Foreigner, Journey, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, and old school compilations when I work out
TV: Discovery, Home & Garden Network, TV Land, CNN, Sex & the City, Bernie Mac Show, Sopranos
ACTORS: Morgan Freeman, Vivica Fox, Betty Davis, and Paul Newman. I loved him in Cool Hand Luke! He was down low but charming, like me, a charming thuggette
MAGAZINES: InStyle, ESPN, Essence
BOOKS: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff About Money, Managing Your Mind, Bible, The Busy Woman's Guide to a Balanced Life (I recommend this to everyone! Read it along with the Bible.)
GEAR: I'm a BCBG fanatic! Gap, Banana Republic, and I get my accessories at Macys or Bloomingdale's
SITES: My credit card and banking site, my quixstar account, and hotmail
SPORTS: I love Randy Moss (Minnesota Vikings) and Jerome Bettis (Pittsburgh Steelers), St. Louis Rams (home town love!), 76ers, Eagles
VACATION SPOTS: Amsterdam, New Hope PA (a quaint artist colony), Cancun, or just back home to St. Louis
FUTURE PLANS: Take more acting classes, search out an agent, stay on top of the business, line up skit/interlude work on people's albums, and just be more spiritual!
Back To Comedian Depot